Happy Thursday Everyone!
1816 Werner von Siemens, 1887 Alvin York, 1917 John Hart, 1920Donald "Don" Taylor, 1925 Dick Van Dyke, 1929 Christopher Plummer, 1948 Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, 1948 Ted Nugent, 1950Wendie Malick, 1957 Steve Buscemi, 1958 Dana Strum, 1967Jamie Foxx, 1969 Tony Curran, 1973 Christie Clark, 1975 Tom DeLonge, 1981 Amy Lee, 1989 Taylor Swift
History of the Outback Bowl...
n April 16, 1986 the NCAA awarded a college bowl game to Tampa Bay. On December 23rd of that year the first Hall of Fame Bowl was played in Tampa Stadium between Georgia and Boston College.
On April 12, 1995 the bowl signed Outback Steakhouse as its title sponsor and changed the name to the Outback Bowl. Twenty-two years later Outback is still the title sponsor, the longest title sponsorship of any current college bowl game.
Today, the game has reached amazing heights. The bowl has been a part of the prestigious New Year's Day bowl lineup now for the past twenty-eight years. It features teams from the two most successful and popular conferences in college football - the SEC and Big Ten.
The bowl is now one of the most popular and success bowl games in the country contributing more than $136 million combined to universities and generating an estimated $1 billion in economic impact for the Tampa Bay region over its history.
The Outback Bowl has also played host to some great match-ups over the years, and therefore has hosted some of the sport's best players and coaches. Over its history life-long memories have been provided to more than 6,200 players, 93,000 halftime show performers and more than 1.7 million college football fans.
• In the inaugural game in 1986, Boston College quarterback Shawn Halloran hit Kelvin Martin in the end zone with 32 seconds remaining to steal a 27-24 win from Georgia.
• Two years later, two storied programs met for the first time as Alabama faced Michigan in a thriller. With 50 seconds left, Michigan's Demetrius Brown found a diving John Kolesar for the game-winning touchdown in a 28-24 victory.
• The first true "Outback Bowl" in 1996 was played in a constant downpour. In fact, it has since been called "The Mud Bowl" because more than six inches of rain fell on game day. It didn't seem to bother Penn State, which beat Auburn 43-14.
• In 1998, Georgia quarterback Mike Bobo set an NCAA record with 19 consecutive completions, including 12 to Hines Ward in a 33-6 win against Wisconsin.
• The 2000 contest saw Drew Brees set or tie six individual bowl records -- and lose. Georgia defeated Brees and Purdue 28-25 in overtime, coming back from a 25-0 deficit. Brees threw for 378 yards, one of 22 bowl records set or tied that day.
• In 2003, Michigan may have won the game, but Florida head coach Ron Zook got a lot of the credit -- or blame. With the Gators trailing 38-30 and driving in the final minute, Zook tried a bit of trickery from the Michigan 27. Freshman cornerback-turned-receiver Vernell Brown took the ball on a reverse and inexplicably lobbed a pass downfield that was intercepted by Victor Hobson to seal the victory.
• The 2012 edition saw Michigan State beat Georgia 33-30 in three overtimes. The game featured the longest punt return in game history (Brandon Boykin's 92-yard return) and the longest receiving touchdown in game history (Tavarres King's 80-yard catch). Michigan State ended the game by blocking Blair Walsh's 47-yard field goal attempt.
Click the pic above to shop our Georgia Bulldog Collection!
“Baby brain” is a real thing. Studies show that when women are pregnant, their memory and cognitive function is noticeably worse than non-pregnant women.
Click the pic above to shop our Apple AirPod skins Collection!
Quote of the day...
“Home is the nicest word there is."
—Laura Ingalls Wilder
A quick “OK” or “I’ll call you back” isn’t always enough. Thankfully, a new feature in WatchOS 3 lets you reply to a message by writing on the screen. When you reply to a message, choose Scribble and write each letter in the space provided. You do this by writing with your finger, one letter at a time, one on top of each other. The software will read each letter and type the sentence on your behalf. The software will keep up with you, too, so you don’t need to wait for it to type the letter for you to move on to the next one. Just go ahead and keep writing what you want to write and the software will type it for you. It’s that simple.
Deals Amazing Deals Team...